About Ngapae Holiday Park – 90 Mile Beach – Te Oneroa a Tōhē
Waipapakauri Ramp is known to some as Ngapae, with Waipapakauri being situated more inland, closer to Waimanoni. Waipapakauri Ramp is identified as a site of significance and key access point for the iwi of Ngai Takoto onto Te Oneroa a Tōhē / 90 Mile Beach.
Tohe named many places along Te Oneroa a Tōhē (The Journey of Tohe)/90 Mile Beach. He was a tohunga and matakite who knew all sacred things. He came to the Waipapakauri Ramp, while making the journey to save his daughter, Raninikura and named this place ‘Ngapae’ after coming across a whale stranding here.
Ngapae Holiday Park have beautiful pouwhenua standing at the entrance of our site carved by Maori Erstich. The central pou is representative of Tangaroa and three of his descendants. The figure on the front is Poutu, a descendent of Tangaroa who was human.
On the back atop is Ikatere and from him descend the creatures of the sea. Below him is Punga and from him descend amphibious creatures, the lizard, sharks and rays. Overall this pou wraps up the surrounding environment and the creatures that dwell within. In front of Tangaroa, are two wakamaumahara, which give reference to the many waka that traversed the seas of Te Oneroa A Tohe. The kowhaiwhai designs displayed take their origin from the shark, a creature of high significance within the iwi of NgāiTakoto.
Facilities at Ngapae Holiday Park – 90 Mile Beach – Te Oneroa a Tōhē
Useful Information for when you’re staying at Ngapae Holiday Park
- Please note that SH1 is closed at Mangamuka Gorge. You must take the SH10 detour or through Herekino/Broadwood. Please read the official notice from NZTA here to help plan your trip easier.
- There is a heater and fan in every unit.
- Towels, linen and blankets provided in self-contained and ensuite units; BYO blankets and towels for our basic units or hire @ $3.00 each
- ID & Vehicle Registration required at check in
- Pet Friendly – Max of 6 Dogs Onsite (leashed at all times)
- No pets allowed inside or outside units
- It costs $4 per load for our self-service laundromat onsite and you can purchase washing powder within our onsite store/reception.
- No Tents on Power Sites
- The nearest fuel station is located in Awanui and the nearest pharmacy and supermarket is located in Kaitaia, so it is advisable to fill your tank and your food hamper there before heading out to Ngapae.
- The Mangamuka Gorge is currently closed on SH1 due to landslides. It is advised that, if you are travelling, you take SH1 through Doubtless Bay.
- Cape Reinga Bus Tour. You can book your tour here
- You can check the tide times here
- You can also book a quad bike ride here with Tuatua Rentals
- If you are camping in a motorhome, we have an onsite dump station.
- If you are part of the NZMCA, you receive 10% off your booking and if you are a registered Ngai Takoto member, you will receive 15% off your booking.
- Please remember to only drive on Te Oneroa a Tōhē | 90 Mile Beach if you have a 4WD vehicle.
- Cellphone reception is scarce in our area, but we do have wifi.
- Nau mai Haere mai!
Contact Ngapae Holiday Park – 90 Mile Beach – Te Oneroa a Tōhē
Book your stay at Ngapae Holiday Park – 90 Mile Beach – Te Oneroa a Tōhē
Rate Information: There will a 10% increase in prices during our high season (October 30 - April 1st). Low season is April 2nd - October 29th. Rates during low season are: Basic Cabins $100 per night. Ensuite Rooms $110 per night. Self-Contained Rooms $120 per night. Bookings cover two people. Additional guests are charged at a rate of $15 per additional adult over 14 years old per night. Additional children (aged 5 years - 14 years old) are charged at a rate of $10 per child per night. Unpowered camping sites are $34 per night (2 people) and powered camping sites are $40 per night (2 people). Additional guest rates are detailed above. 10% discount is applied to NZMCA Members and a 15% discount applies to Te Runanga o Ngai Takoto registered members. Book Now.Cancellation Policy
Any COVID-19 or Cyclone Gabrielle related cancellations will be 100% refunded. Decisions on COVID-19 or Cyclone Gabrielle related cancellations will be made at Ngapae Holiday Park's discretion. We understand that travel plans can be disrupted during uncertain times so we will work with these cancellation types to reach a suitable resolution.
50% deposits are required with bookings. You can choose to pay this via Credit Card and your details will be destroyed automatically within seven days or you can opt to pay this via internet banking.
Cancellations will incur a 10% administration fee if they are made between three days after confirmation (grace period) up to 48 hours prior to check-in date.
If your booking is cancelled up to 48 hours prior to check-in, your payment is non-refundable.
A credit card is compulsory to secure any type of booking. If you are unable to present a credit/visa debit card, then a $50 refundable damage bond will be collected upon check-in.